Sunday, November 21, 2004

My guru, Jayendra Saraswathi is innocent: Vijayendra Saraswathi

Publication: www.newkerala.com

Vijayendra Saraswathi, junior pontiff of the Kanchi Mutt, firmly believes that his spiritual guru, Jayendra Saraswathi, is innocent of the charges of involvement in murder slapped against the arrested seer.

"I have firm belief in one thing. My guru is innocent. Every allegation made against him is untrue," the junior seer said in his first interview since the Nov 11 arrest of Jayendra Saraswathi.

Amidst reports that there is a move to install the 35-year-old Vijayendra Saraswathi as chief of the powerful Shankara Mutt in Kanchipuram, the mutt has blamed the media for false reporting.

In an interview to T.S.V. Hari, editor of the religious magazine "Kamakoti" that will hit the stands Tuesday, an emotional Vijayendra Saraswathi said: "I have requested the advocates representing us to seek the permission (of the magistrate) to enable me to meet my guru in person... a one-on-one meeting. That is all I want ... for now."

Hari writes: "Two words can aptly describe the expression on the face of His Holiness Sri Shankara Vijayendra Saraswathi. Stunned disbelief."

"As a matter of policy, the mutt has now learnt to forget the existence of the contraption called mobile phone."

While arresting the senior pontiff, police had furnished as evidence mobile phones numbers and conversations relating to the execution of the crime - the murder in September of Shankara Raman, a former mutt employee.

"As a believer in the Hindu faith and as a devotee of the mutt, this scribe wanted to hear from the present centre of power (Vijayendra) of the 2,500-year-old institution, what it was all about," Hari writes.

"At 8.45 a.m. the mutt was almost deserted. But for a strong contingent of policemen outside, and three old hands at the place, there was an eerie silence... a far cry from the usual hustle and bustle one associates with the institution."

"With innocent incredulity" Hari writes, Vijayendra asked him: " 'Why has the press suddenly turned so hostile towards us'?"

"The junior seer asked the question not as a rhetoric. It was obvious that he is yet to come to terms with a medium called television which captured his visuals and juxtaposed it with diatribe."

"As every hour passes, I am informed that a new series of lies have been said about us. When people started saying that my brother from my previous ashram was trying to hide from law, I requested the television crews to come here and take pictures of him. They did that and uttered more untruths," Vijayendra told Hari.

"'Now I know better. The press is free to write and show what it wants. I only have one wish now. I just want to see my guru and hear what kind of tribulations he is undergoing - from him... straight. The second and third hand information is confusing and threatening at the same time', Vijayendra said emotionally."

Hari asked the junior pontiff: "Just tell me, your Holiness, what is the truth about Shankara Raman?"

"'I remember this man vaguely. That is all. All this talk about him being a former employee of the mutt and everything else is like a nightmare. But why talk about him? The courts can find out the truth.

"' But I have firm belief in one thing. My guru is innocent. Every allegation made against him is untrue. The outside world doesn't know what kind of rigorous discipline we have (and) how many rituals we have to perform.

"'Today, various newspapers and television channels publish and show some visual and add a different commentary totally twisting everything out of context. Someone told me that some television channel said that I was emotional and showed me brushing off the dust from my eyes, suggesting that I was shedding tears. Tell me, is this journalism?'"

"'Just request your readers that everyone prays for the release of my guru. I simply want him to be free. Everything else seems so needless for the moment', Vijayendra said in a matter-of-fact tone, blessed this scribe, got up and walked away toward the main hall of the mutt for puja," Hari writes.

1 comment:

Indian said...

Great. Charges proved to be false today, he's proved to be innocent once again today!